Thursday, May 22, 2008

Central Valley, NY Cubans

So I got up a 3 AM on May 20th to travel to Union City to then go by bus to Central Valley to celebrate my great grandfather. Sure I got caught up in the New York city traffic as Jose Reyes warned but I got there in time. I pulled into a filling station to ask directions to my friend 's house, Mayor Don Royce Roy Dominguez who was supposedly coordinating the festivities. But my car would not restart, signaling a dead starter so I would not make the bus ride on time. But I did make the Independence celebration in Union City. There the truth unfolded.

The bus left for Central Valley two days earlier on Sunday and Don got it all wrong. And it turns out that Don is not the mayor of Union City because I met him along with many other nice Cubans that rainy day. But here is a picture of the Cubans who made the trip to Central Valley this past weekend. A special hello to Vicente pictured center holding the rain coat.

3 Comments:

Blogger Angel Garzón said...

Tomás, did you check your starter solenoid? They are notorious for causing starter motor failures, especially during rainy and humid conditions, Ford usually places the solenoids on the side of the starter that is near the engine, they should be placed on the opposite side of the starter motor, i.e., away from the engine, excessive heat emanating from the engine block, poor shield quality and the poor ventilation that results from improper positioning usually lead to premature failure, unscrupulous mechanics will tell the consumer that the starter needs to be replaced, even if they know that it's the solenoid that has failed, the price difference is significant. Toyota used to be well known for this issue, as well as, low quality wiring harnesses on its much praised Camry, I owned a 1985 Mercury Grand Marquis and a 1990 Toyota Camry, both sucked big time, I drove Fords for my corporate employer and my friend's SMB (150 employees,) for years. We became a Dodge family in 1994 when my wife bought a 1995 Dodge Neon, it was recalled before she experienced any problems, the starter was replaced with a new one that had the solenoid on the correct side, kudos to Dodge for catching and owning up to its mistake on time, I drive a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 QC.

Concerning the trip to Central Valley, may I quote Ronald W. Reagan? "Trust, but verify" I'm sure Don made it worth the trip anyway, hopefully next year Cuba would be free before the 20th.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Tomás Estrada-Palma said...

It has been making a high pitch noise. I pulled it apart and the brushes were worn down to nubs. So I put a rebuilt one in yesterday.

Don got me again but he bought me breakfast and a beer later so I forgive him.

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow tommas you left the keys too the city att the broadcast studios in wutz you need to come back soon and pick up the keys ne way it was a cool rainy day i do all over ten times +1000 += a puls good thing/ from the wings of time freedom is flying like a sub sonic boom with cuban ochhon don

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home