Monday, November 05, 2007

Government Gets In The Way

If you want to know why the world economy is in such disarray it is mostly because government gets in the way. The most stark examples of this are found in places like Cuba. But the government does its fair share of damage right here in the good old USA. Of course they tax a huge portion of the wealth that WE and not they create. But that's not what I'm talking about here. It's the paperwork requirements and regulations that cost us more and more of our limited time on earth. Here is an example of how these time robbers steal a growing portion of all of our lives.

I bought a car. I wrote about it. It's a 1991 Toyota. It runs great but the guy's girlfriend was going to sell it to him but instead he sold it to me. She already put his name on the title. Maryland MVA says that means he has to transfer the title (it's titled in Virginia too) into his name first, then he can sign it over to me. In other words the snotty hussy at the MVA said I will have to find alternative transportation for the next month until Virginia gets the seller a title in his name that he can sign over to me.

Every day millions of mindless regulations stop or hinder economic activity in this manner. In my case we will have to burn twice as much gasoline because my son will have to drive me to work, come back home then return to pick me up at 12:30am. Naturally this means I'll have to pay the government twice as much gas tax to do this little regulatory work-around until I achieve compliance. Isn't that CONVENIENT?

1 Comments:

Blogger Tomás Estrada-Palma said...

However, there is no law that says the seller (my new friend) can't jointly own a car with me. Actually my wife and he signed the paper work and there you go...we get a temporary title in both our their names so we could inspect the car and get tags. Then in a month when Maryland and Virginia get around to getting us a title our friend will sign his share over to my wife and we'll get another title with just her name on the title.

These rules are stupid. You know how you have to notify the MVA within 15 days of moving to a new residence? What do you do if you become homeless? Say you're living in the car now?

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home