Friday, November 02, 2007

Sen. John Cornyn's Remarks

Via Joseito:

Remarks of Sen. John Cornyn (R, Texas) in support of the Cuban people, and against their oppressive regime.

U.S. Senate
November 1, 2007

I wanted to commend my distinguished friends and colleagues from New Jersey and Florida for this statement of solidarity with the Cuban people. I couldn't agree more that it's important, certainly now as much as ever, that we stand arm-in-arm, shoulder-to-shoulder, opposed to oppressive and regimes that really govern by fear.

I have to say just briefly, my friend from Florida, Senator Martinez, I know his personal history being a refugee from Cuba when he was 16 years old, part of an effort to bring young Cubans to America so they could have a better life. He also shared with me recently a movie, which while a work of fiction, I think gave me a very emotional sense of what people in Cuba and Havana, in particular, must have experienced with the Cuban people being oppressed by Fidel Castro, and I have to tell you that it is a bleak, bleak existence that these people who are seeking nothing more than the most bake of human rights have under such a heartless regime and a dictator like Fidel Castro.

I just wanted to express a few words both thanks and words of solidarity for my colleagues from New Jersey and Florida to reiterate that all of us, all of the American people, stand in solidarity with those in Cuba who seek change, who seek what we perhaps too often take for granted, our freedom to speak, live, to worship as we see fit. We ought to do everything we can possible to support them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home