Thursday, July 05, 2007

In 1959

In 1959

In 1959 I was 5 years old. I liked playing baseball and was very afraid of Sister Mary Clemons my first grade teacher. I must confess I did not know how things were in Cuba then beyond what my family told me. But considering all the people who have died or been killed by this revolution perhaps someone could enlighten me? Did most Cubans use newspapers for toilet paper? Did all the broken sewer pipes spew human wastes into the streets? Was the tap water unfit to drink? Were the majority of islanders hungry all the time with many suffering from diabetes because of the high sugarcane diet with no decent high vitamin food? I wonder, did Cuba send their doctors and medicine to other countries while Cubans suffered and died from treatable medical conditions? Were there dengue fever outbreaks that the government tried to pass off as a new disease called "fever syndrome" so the leader wouldn't look foolish? Were all the houses crumbling into piles of rubble? Were Cubans not allowed in the tourist areas? Was making their daughters, mothers, wives and girlfriends the whores for the fat tourists okay with the family back in '59? Just how bad was it? Because all of the above is the current situation in Cuba and it's going south from there fast. Cubans everywhere know this but the world says to us prove that negative. But we cannot do that easily because Cuba is a prison where the government tries to control all information. However, in case anyone from the MSM hasn't noticed, everything we say in these blogs continues to be proved correct like last year's dengue outbreak that Castro at first lied about - as usual. So when will these so called journalists demand full access to the island before ever again printing or airing a word from the regime? But I promise you this media men...I know a bunch of Cubans that will make you eat your words in the near future. Better make your words soft and sweet for Cuban liberty.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Tomas I was 4 years when the crap happened but I did have a look of what things were like: some shacks and bohios were crumbling, some people were barefooted and some were whores but you have the same here in many places just as I have seen the same in Eastern Europe just after the wall fell, but if you have no affection for welfare or crack or just plain liking being a whore you can do whatever it takes to pull out of the blight, I came here alone at age 17 without speaking a word of English (not that I am William F Buckly now) and ended up graduating from a prestigious university on GI Bill money while working midnights, if I can others can. I hear in the old days the sons of a Cuban Army sargent and his wife who run a lundry out of her home (my grandparents) ended up all being CPAs and lawyers, our house was not crumbling, not a mansion but just fine, we had beach vacations and OK clothes, if you applied yourself even with little education a business could be the ticket, no one with 50 cents went hungry, that is the way it was until it all went to crap, cheap medical care was around (but mind you a big deal is made out of that since most Cubans are hypocondriacts), hope that helps...so all that suffering for a ration card, dengue and more whores? Thanks God at 14 I got the hell out of there (and it was Hell).

6:45 PM  
Blogger Vana said...

Tomas, I left Cuba when I was 11 years old in 1962, I can give you my impression as a child there, I never saw a bohio in my life since we seldom ventured out of Havana, I for one never saw anyone barefoot, I remember we recieved good health care, we were not rich, yet we wore good clothes, and ate very well, we had everything we could afford, and snacked on things American, like M&M's, and Bazooka gum, which all children loved, every night my mom would give us a quarter to go to the little cafe in the corner to have a mamey batido or shake, (btw I still miss those batidos very much) or some guarapo, well my friend shortly after the triumph of the robolution, we went to buy gum, there was none to be had, no more batidos, no more fritas, no more of anything, by the time we left Cuba there was hardly nothing in the bodega across the street, that was in 1962, imagine how much worse it is now!

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home