Thursday, April 05, 2007

More Tourists Glad to be Back In Canada

More Tourists

Glad to be

Back In Canada




Varadero Beach: Club Amigo Varadero: "A little less than average. Tips to avoid being scammed"
cola2500, Waterloo Mar 28, 2007


My experience with this property took place in:
February, 2007

Would I recommend this hotel to my best friend? no way!

I do not recommend this hotel for: Young singles, An amazing honeymoon, A romantic getaway, Girlfriend getaway, Great pool scene, Pet owners, Families with young children, Families with teenagers, Tourists

My age: 18-24

Traveling group: Friends

My visit was for: Quality time with friends

As the saying goes: you get what you pay for. For $1000 you can stay here, but it's not really worth that money. Pay the extra $300 or $400 for something worth your effort!

Everything EXCEPT the beach was less than par. The service, the food (which was absolutely awful and the same thing every day), the rooms, the look of the hotel, the drinks.. all pretty much were just 'OK'. I've stayed at 4 stars in Mexico and Cuba just can't compare.

This hotel really should be a 2.5, there are no real perks except the beach which is the largest on the strip.

Drinks - same thing, did not make the special drinks like daquiries or shots

Food - same thing every day too, buffet style that would go cold if you didn't go there right when it started. A lot of things looked too sketchy to eat without labels of what they were. We literally had to fight for drinks and cutlery every time we went into the dining hall. Basically, we started grabbing our own by the end of it.

Rooms - decent but not great. Our shower had no pressure and was never really hot. We had a view of a grungy garden.

Service - AWFUL, unless you tip, Cubans will not give you exceptional service. We had to FIGHT for everything at this place, to get towels when we arrived, to get our lock for the safe, to get cutlery and drinks... the list goes on.

Calling and Money Exchange - both times that I called home and exchanged money I was ripped off. BE CAREFUL! I caught the exchanger who shortchanged me 1 peso, but for the call there was nothing I could do. The second time I called I timed it and it was exactly under 4 minutes with ringing and I was charged for 6 minutes. This works out to be a difference of 4 pesos which in Canadian is almost $6. It seemed like any way you turned you could get scammed...

Overall, I would suggest paying a little bit more and getting a better place.. this place is not worth the 1 grand.

_____________________________________________
This TripAdvisor Member:
Liked: The Beach
Disliked: Service and the Hotel
Save this review

This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Compliment cola2500
Helpful votes: 2/2. Did you find this review helpful? Yes No
Traveler rating:
Varadero Beach: Club Amigo Varadero: "Be aware of the lady in the cigar shop."
Nikki3NiagaraFalls, Niagara Falls Mar 19, 2007



My experience with this property took place in:
March, 2007
Would I recommend this hotel to my best friend? no way!
My ratings for this hotel are:

I recommend this hotel for:
I do not recommend this hotel for: Young singles, An amazing honeymoon, A romantic getaway, Girlfriend getaway, People with disabilities, Older travelers, Great pool scene, Pet owners, Families with young children, Families with teenagers, Tourists

I selected this hotel because ... Beach / Sun

My age: 35-49

Traveling group: Family with teenagers
My visit was for: Quality time with family

We just got back from club amigo March 16th 2007. We went for March Break. The problem I have with this place was at the cigar shop. We went in there a couple of times looking and asking questions, got to know the lady in the shop. My sister in law was asked buy a co-worker to bring back a certain type of cigar for him the lady didn't have it but would get it for us. We went back a day or two later and she had them for her. I, on the other hand was still unsure of which kind to bring home. So I said that I'd come back the next day. She said she was off onThursday and come on Friday since they work on commission (so they say) I had no reason to dought her. Friday was our last day March 16th 2007) I returned my towels so I had a few pesos to spend, went up to the cigar shop and I was still unsure of which cigar to purchase. I thought they were alittle pricey. I was told that they were regulated by the government. So against my better judgment and because I trusted the lady in the cigar shop I bought a 5 pack of the small cigars (guantanamera) She charged me 12.50 pesos. Later that night we were at the airport and I was shocked and very angry that the exact pack of cigars were only 4 peso. She ripped me off! I am now writting the manager plus the Sunquest rep about her. I am sure that I'm not the only one thats fallen victim to her. I wish I had gone into the shop on her day off to see if the other person would have quoted me the same price. If someone is heading over to Club Amigo please go into the cigar shop and warn her that everyone is aware of her dishonesty. Tell her it's on the internet. That should scare her straight.


This TripAdvisor Member:
Liked: the beach
Disliked: the cigar lady


___________________________________________________________

This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Ask Nikki3Niagar... a question | Compliment Nikki3Niagar...

Traveler rating:
Varadero Beach: Club Amigo Varadero: "Average Joe"
wog&polly, BC Mar 17, 2007




My experience with this property took place in:
April, 2006
Would I recommend this hotel to my best friend? probably not
My ratings for this hotel are:

I recommend this hotel for: Young singles, Girlfriend getaway, Older travelers, Great pool scene

I do not recommend this hotel for: An amazing honeymoon, People with disabilities, Pet owners
I selected this hotel because ... Beach / Sun, Museums / Cultural / Historical sites, Outdoor / Adventure, Great food / Wine

My age: 25-34

Traveling group: Spouse / significant other
My visit was for: Hobbies / interest / culture

My boyfriend and I (ages 25-26) wanted a quick getaway for a reasonable price, so when we saw this online on sale, we booked in and flew the next week. Same thing as most of the other reviews, busy airport, busride to the hotel, pretty front desk area. We found our room (which was supposed the be an upgrade) right beside the elevator and just above the front entrance facing the highway. Not the best.

I must say the beach was pretty wicked, I've been to many places in the Carribean, Mexico and Asia and this is probably one of the cleanest and nicest beaches I've seen. We took a long walk down the beach, and the other resort beaches were not as good as ours was.

Food was garbage, and I mean garbage - how about having the same rice and seafood recycled a million different ways for breakfast lunch and dinner? Overcooked pork pork and more pork never SEEN so much damn pork in so many ways. We really looked forward to trying some Cuban dishes, you know, getting a little more exposure to the culture etc, but everything was whatever they could could cook en masse. But, if you go into Havannah or Veradero for dinner, you can find some much better food.

Drinks are drinks - come on - an all inclusive resort is not going to be serving premium liquor, so don't expect it! Local beer, cheap hard, but friendly bartenders and 24 hour bar. There is a piano in the main 24 hour bar area that plays all by itself, and frankly it drives you mental if you're having more than one or two drinks at that bar. Can't shut it off, I tried.
Staff were nice, you have to remember it's not Mexico, they are not to speak to you or try and sell you things, this is a communist country. They helped you out if you needed anything, end of story.
Overall? I would not go back to this hotel ever again - but keep in mind you get what you pay for and I learned my lesson. As a cheap getaway, it's what you would expect. If you want to be waited on hand and foot, have amazing first rate food and live out your hopes and dreams like these other reviews, then save your pennies and buck up you cheap big boy - go stay at a 5 star.


This TripAdvisor Member:
Liked: the beach
Disliked: garbage for food


____________________________________________
Tomas Estrada-Palma

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home