Sunday, April 22, 2007

Don't go to Santiago de Cuba

mcmartin
Posted: 16 Apr 2007
12:31am

Don't go to Santiago de Cuba

User is offline View thread in raw text format
There're many great things about Cuba, not just the beaches or the landscapes, but also the people. I just came back from a 2 week trip. I visited Habana, Trinidad, Camagüey, Santiago de Cuba and Cayo Largo del Sur, so I think I got a pretty good idea about Cuba and Cubans. I stayed in private houses (casas particulares) and I am Spanish native speaker, so I had the chance to get to know many interesting things about Cuban life.
After this great experience, I wanted to post this message in this forum also to give my opinion about people in Santiago de Cuba. I got there by bus, and I suffered the harassment since the very begining.
In all the country, Cubans offer you different kinds of services: taxi, house, restaurant, horse riding, diving, fruit... all the time. You listen to them, say yes or not, thank you, and that's all. But in Santiago the Cuba there was a inhuman pressure over tourists, it's not enough to tell them that you don't need the service, they continue insisting, even touching you, trying to convince you. A lot of times, they lie about the service (they don't even have a taxi, they are just playing with you...), so I was cheated several times. I must say that it wasn't dangerous in any case, but they made me feel completely stupid, and forced me to be "in alert" all the time. I didn't want to be mean because i'm pretty easygoing and I like talking to people, I love the Cuban way of being, so I talked to many Cubans. Probably, that's the reason why they cheated me again and again in Santiago.
If you go with a tourist guide or choose a jinetero to "protect" you, you may not have the same experience as me, I guess.
For those of you who have already been to Santiago de Cuba, I'd love to know about your experience. Deep inside of me, I'd like to think that I was just not lucky.
For those of you who are planning to visit the country, I'd recommend to visit other places instead of Santiago, there are many great villages around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home