Friday, January 11, 2008

FOX Paul Electability Question

Here a link to the transcript of the debate, and below is Dr. Paul’s full answer to the electability question:

PAUL: Well, we’ve only had two little primaries so far. So it’s pretty premature to decide which one is going to be the candidate. But, you know, when you think about it, if you measured everything I’ve ever said, every vote I’ve ever taken against the Constitution, you know, I’m a strict constitutionalist.

Are you suggesting the Republicans should write me off because I’m a strict constitutionalist? I’m the most conservative member here. I have voted, you know, against more spending and waste in government than anybody else.

(APPLAUSE)

So you’re suggesting that I’m not electable and the Republicans don’t want me because I’m a strict fiscal conservative, because I believe in civil liberties? Why should we not be defending civil liberties and why should we not be talking about foreign policy that used to be the part of the Republican Party?

PAUL: Mr. Republican Robert Taft didn’t even want us to be in NATO and you’re saying now that we have to continue to borrow money from China to finance this empire that we can’t afford?

Let me see if I get this right. We need to borrow $10 billion from China, and then we give it to Musharraf, who is a military dictator, who overthrew an elected government. And then we go to war, we lose all these lives promoting democracy in Iraq. I mean, what’s going on here?

(APPLAUSE)

And you’re saying that this isn’t appealing to Republicans? Where did this come about? I think this is the Republican message. I defend the platform. It used to say we’d (inaudible) the Department of Education. It doesn’t say that now.

We, as Republicans, went and doubled the size of the Department of Education, so where have we gone? I think we’ve lost our way. And then the insinuation that I am less Republican because of that?

1 Comments:

Blogger Tomás Estrada-Palma said...

Is it me or is McCain looking more and more like Popeye on crack?

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home